The Chintamani Vinayak temple at Thevoor is located in the vinicity of Pune. Thevoorcha Shri Chintaamani is considered to be one of the Ashta Vinayak shrines of Maharashtra, celebrating eight instances of legends related to Ganesha.
The legend surrounding this temple centers around the Chintaamani gem. Sage Kapila was in possession of a gem by name Chintaamani which was capable of granting one’s desires. He was visited by a young prince (son of Gunavati and Abhijita) by name Guna. The sage invoked the powers of the gem and created a sumptuous meal for the prince. The prince enamoured by the power of the gem, stole it from the sage. A hurt Kapila Muni prayed to Vinayaka for help. Vinayaka restored the gem from the prince, however the sage refused to accept it, and began to revere Vinayaka as Chintaamani Vinayaka.
Legend has it that Kapila Muni had received this gem from Shiva after worshipping him at Talaiaalankaadu near Thanjavur in Tamilnadu. It is believed that he had walked on his head to reach the shrine and hence the tamil name Talaiaalankaadu (talai – head). (Also see Kapilarmalai Murugan temple in Tamilnadu).
An east facing image of Ganesha, is enshrined in this temple which has interesting features such as gold inlays. This temple is closely associated with the Maratha ruler Madhavrao Peshwa.
Festivals Theur Chintamani
In Bhadrapada from Pratipada to Saptami and another in Magh are celebrated in Theur on grand scale. In those days Ganesh idols in the nearby temples are worshipped and offered naivedyam. This is called as Dwaryatra.
On Sankashti and Angaraki people donate food. They have been provided with equipment for preparing food. Rama Madhav death anniversary is celebrated here on Kartik Vadya Ashtami on large scale.
Route Map to Theur Chintamani Ashtavinayak Darshan
By Road: Theur is situted on the confluence of the Mula, Mutha & Bhima rivers.
- In Haveli Taluka of District Pune, Theur is at the distance of 25 km from Pune.
- Regular P.M.T. ( Poona Motor Transport ) buses are available from Sarasbag or Poolgate bus stand of Pune.
- On Pune Solapur highway, after Hadapsar and Loni, at a distance of 3kms. From Loni a small road to the left leads to Theur.
Where to Stay Chintamani Theur
The Chintamani Yatri Niwas (Tel: +91-20-26912309 & Tariff: Rs 150 – 200) is the only option. Pune, very close at hand, offers better facilities.
Additional Infromation Theur Chintamani
Morya Gosavi of Chinchwad performed penances in the forest of Theur. As a result Shree Ganesh emerged in the guise of two Tigers.
1. Shri Chintamani is a family of God of Shreemant Madhavrao Peshwa. His palace was near the temple and now it is converted into garden. Madhavrao Peshwe had stayed in this palace in his last sickness. He renovated the temple and performed various religious programmes in the temple. By chanting Gajanan, Gajanan he bestowed his life on the foot of the Chintamani. Ramabai, wife of Madhavrao Peshwe became Sati (she burnt herself with the corpse of her husband). On that place, that is, on the bank of Mula-Mutha river Sati’s Vrindavan is built. That day was 18-11-1772, Kartik Vadya Ashtami. On this day Rama-Madhav death anniversary is celebrated every year.
2. It is said that Emperor Aurangzeb had given grant to this temple. Nowadays administration of this temple is governed by Chinchwad Temple Trust.
3 . Appropriate donations Abhishek, Ekadashi, Sahastravartana, etc. are done by Poojari. Prasad and Angara (wholy ashes) are sent by post.